History of TuraŭTuraw or Turaŭ (Belarusian Тураў, Russian Туров, Polish Turów, also transliterated as Turov) is a town in Zhytkavichy district of Homel voblast of Belarus.
HistoryTuraw was an ancient capital of the Dregovichs tribe - one of the three Eastern Slavic tribes that are considered the ancestors of modern Belarusian nation (the others being Krivichs and Drevlians). Turaw was first mentioned in the "Tale of Bygone Years" from 980. It is located in the South of Belarus, in the historical region of Palesse.
The city was founded at the crossing of Yazda and Strumen rivers by certain Duke Tur - hence the name Turaw. Other ethymology draws the name from Tur, the Slavic name of the Aurochs. Both rivers join with Pripet river, which in turn flows into Dnipro and then leads to the Black Sea. This river route was known to Vikings, who used it extensively for communication and during their raids to Constantinople. The Varangian dynasty of Ruriks has become dukes in the neighboring Kyiv principality and Turaw soon also became ruled by a local branch of dukes of the Rurik Dynasty. In that period the town of Turaw was an important trade centre within the Kyivan Rus, mostly due to the abovementioned trade route.
Thanks to the towns' strategic location, many different crafts were developed and practiced in Turaw. It was also home to bishop Cyril of Turaw (Kiryla Turawski), an ancient Ruthenian philosopher and religious figure. The town's period of prosperity ended with a number of feudal conflicts in 12th century. Soon afterwards Turaw lost much of its importance.
In 1320 Turaw became a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1430 it became a private town of the Grand Duke Svitrigaila. In the end of the 15th century Turaw became a property of Grand Court Marshal of Lithuania Michał Gliński. In 1502 it was damaged by a Tatar invasion. After Gliński's betrayal and escape to Muscovy in 1508, Turaw was confiscated by the family of Konstanty Ostrogski, who started the reconstruction, but the town was yet again destroyed by the Tatars in 1521. The Ostrogski family owned the town for more than a century, until it was given as a dowry to the Sapieha and then Potocki magnate families. During The Deluge the town was taken by Muscovy, but was soon retaken by Janusz Radziwiłł. After the period of constant wars with Muscovy, the town was severely damaged. In 1667 Turaw had only 111 households - out of 401 standing there in 1648.
The town never fully recovered. After the Second Partition of Poland in 1793 it was annexed by Russia and remained a small, provincial town for most of the 19th century. From that time onwards it shared the fate of the nearby town of Homel.
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This text is taken from Wikipedia and published at Radzima.org according to GNU Free Documentation License
Turaŭ. : Places of interest | selected photos
Orthodox church of All Saints in Turaŭ
view of the town, early XX century
Tomb at Jewish cemetery in Turau (photo by Don Shumovsky)
Turaŭ. : Lost heritage | Photo
Turaŭ. Synagogue Great (XIX) Synagogue in Turov. Exterior Photo © Kraft/Murovcheck Family Archives | < 1918
Нехта абавязкова адашле мяне да раённай (-ных) Кнігі Памяці. Ёсцека ў маёй бібліятэцы і такія. Яны - дакладней, звесткі з іх, - не аргумент, бо нават аніякая не існая копія, не дакумент.
Па-першае, матэрыялы сабраны далёка не ўсе, і як след не правераныя, не звераныя - таму шмат недакладнасцей, памылак, проста белых плям.
Па-другое, нельга было выданне Кніг давяраць тутэйшым, ці з тутэй...
Мяне ўражвае, што на такіх сайтах няма зусім гісторыі, няма ўспамінаў, няма архіўных матэрыялаў, няма фота, сканерных файлаў. Канкрэтна, анідзе не трапіш ніякіх звестак пра даваеннае, ваеннае і пасляваеннае жыццё Тураўскага, Жыткавіцкага і іншых раёнаў Палесскай і Гомельскай абласцей. Ні табе нічога пра вёскі, пра ўстановы, пра знакамітых людзей... Адкрываеш сайт, лістаеш... Як і не было тут ні...
Staryja razpaviadali szto ddrauliany ryma-katalicki kasciol u Turavie stajau da 1932 godu za miestam u poli u bok vioski Rydcza. Razburany jak i usie cerkvy i synahohi.
Sionnia katalickaj parafii u Turavie niama. Alie siarod maich siabrou dziacinstva (1970-e hady) bylo szmat turaucou katalickaha pachodzhannia z "polskimi" imionami...
цікава вам будзе даведацца:
http://www.belaruspartisan.org/bp-forte/ ?page=100&backPage=13 &news=32059&newsPage=0